Issues with the ice resurfacing machines at the North Grenville Municipal Centre led to a Kemptville 73’s game being postponed.
Everyone in the arena was evacuated to the lobby ahead of Tuesday night’s game against the Smiths Falls Bears because of a leak in one of the ice resurfacing machines causing smoke.
The other machine had a computer malfunction that made it unsafe to operate. The arena’s other rink, which was being rented for minor hockey, was also unusable because of what happened.
“We were told before that the [machines] weren’t working, so the ice couldn’t be flooded,” one of the minor hockey players explained in the aftermath. “We decided to go on the ice anyways until they opened the doors and said the propane tanks were on fire.”
73’s General Manager Terry Nichols said the organization will offer compensation to the fans who came to the game.
“Either, A, you can get a refund, or if you’re somebody who comes regularly to our games, we’re happy to give you a replacement Game Day Pass or Family Pass,” he explained. “So, you’re just paying in advance that way, it’s up to you.”
Mayor Nancy Peckford later clarified that there was no actual fire, but the arena was evacuated as a precaution. She expects the machines to be fully operational again quickly.