Listen Live
HomeNews(UPDATE) Environment Canada: ‘snow event’ coming to eastern Ontario Thursday, Friday

(UPDATE) Environment Canada: ‘snow event’ coming to eastern Ontario Thursday, Friday

UPDATE: April Scott-Clarke, the Upper Canada District School Board’s Manager of Communications, gave us the following statement:

“The UCDSB works in collaboration with our transportation consortium, Student Transportation of Eastern Ontario (STEO) and our co-terminus board the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario when it comes to deciding to run transportation or not due to inclement weather.

Generally, the decision is made the morning of so that we can get the most up-to-date weather information. In some instances, it is done in advance when there is already heavy snowfall or ice rain occurring, for example. At this time, no definite decision has been made yet regarding transportation for Friday. However, we are in regular contact with STEO.

Should transportation be cancelled on Friday, the UCDSB will not move to online learning. Educators provide students with review activities and resources, well in advance of potential snow days, for students to work on at home, should students and families choose.”

- Advertisement -

A meteorologist with Environment Canada is warning that 15 to 25 centimeters of snow is expected to fall Thursday evening and on Friday.

“Thursday, during the day, you’ll be fine,” explains Gerald Cheng. “The system will start Thursday evening, after the commute, so, when you wake up Friday morning, it will be snowy, a blanket of white.”

Cheng says the snowfall might cause dangerous road conditions.

“Friday, if you can work from home, do work from home, and avoid the snow” he says, “because traveling along the 417, the 416, that won’t be fun.”

Environment Canada has issued a “Special Weather Statement” for the Leeds-Grenville area about the snowfall. 

The Upper Canada District School Board and Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario haven’t issued statements regarding if buses will be canceled because of the weather. 

We’ve reached out to both boards for comment.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading