Listen Live
HomeNewsStudents from two local schools plant garlic crop at Kemptville Campus

Students from two local schools plant garlic crop at Kemptville Campus

Food production is coming back to the Kemptville Campus with help from some local kids.

Students from the Académie catholique Notre-Dame and École publique Rivière Rideau, two French schools located within the Campus, have planted a garlic crop on its agricultural land.

Leela Ramachandran, The Campus’ Project Manager for Training and Local Food, says the students’ project is one of several being undertaken as part of a “broader vision for local food.”

“We’re also upgrading our greenhouses, working towards a commercial kitchen for community use, exploring community gardening and small-scale food production, and more,” Ramachandran says.

- Advertisement -

The Campus used to be home to an agricultural college that closed in 2014. The Municipality of North Grenville purchased the facility in 2018, and has restored it as a mixed-use community hub that also hosts several nonprofit organizations and businesses in addition to the two schools.

“With over 600 acres including forest, wetland, and agricultural land, the Campus offers an ideal location for public education and community engagement around agriculture and local food,” says Campus Executive Director Liz Sutherland. “By creating opportunities for food producers, students, entrepreneurs and community members to work and learn together, building a local food system on campus will foster the growth of our regional food economy.”

In terms of education, Ramachandran says garlic is a good choice for kids to start learning about agriculture and food production.

“It’s easy to plant in the fall and is one of the first crops to emerge in spring,” she explains. “Students can see the results of their work over the school year, and connect it with what they learn in class about plant growth, agriculture and food.”

According to Ramachandran, the garlic crop will be ready to harvest next summer, and will be distributed to businesses and organizations in the community.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading