Listen Live
HomeNewsUCDSB students learning programming, science at “Nationwide Hour of Code” classes

UCDSB students learning programming, science at “Nationwide Hour of Code” classes

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, students at local schools are learning about how scientists predict disease outbreaks.

Bryan Kearney, a Learning Partner with the Upper Canada District School Board, visited Kemptville Public School this week as part of the “Nationwide Hour of Code”, a global education initiative that teaches kids about science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Schools from all over the world, including in nearby communities like Augusta, Smith’s Falls and Brockville, all took part in the event.

As part of this year’s “Hour of Code”, Kearney taught students to create a simulation that models disease spread. The activity, called “Outbreak: Code your own Simulation”, had students create the program, estimate what the disease spread would look like, and then test their work.

Kearney says initiatives like the “Nationwide Hour of Code” helps teach kids life skills they need for today’s world. “It’s important for our students to become familiar with coding, computer science and other technologies so that they are equipped with the digital skills they need to be successful,” Kearney says. ““This outbreak simulator fosters problem-solving skills using an example that students can relate to.”

If you’re interested in seeing the activity, it’s available on the “Nationwide Hour of Code” website for free, and can be completed on any device.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading