Listen Live
HomeNewsStephen Sliwa Retires As UCDSB's Director Of Education

Stephen Sliwa Retires As UCDSB’s Director Of Education

The Upper Canada District School Board is bidding farewell to a long-standing educator.

On Thursday, the UCDSB announced Stephen Sliwa has decided to retire from his role at the school board, following five years as Director of Education.

He says he’s grateful for the privilege of serving students, the board and the local community during his time in the role.

“I have enjoyed the opportunity to provide leadership to staff, who have significantly elevated the operation of our schools and have generated a greater range of partnerships in our community that enhance the experiences of our students,” Sliwa said. 

- Advertisement -

The board has faced many challenges it’s had to overcome in the past few years.

The largest of those being the need for the delivery of student programming during the pandemic and keeping students connected to learning

Sliwa says it’s not been an easy time for anyone within the school board.

“I give credit to all UCDSB staff for going above and beyond the call of duty while fully attending to students during this historic time,” he said. “It’s been my pleasure to work alongside you to navigate this complex time for our families. I am proud of all the work we have accomplished, and I know that you will continue this great work.”   

Sliwa began his career in education 35 years ago.

He began his career in 1985 as an educational assistant in the Peel District School Board working with students in day treatment programs. 

In 2015, following work in three different school districts as a special education teacher, guidance counsellor, vice-principal, principal and school board executive – he became the UCDSB’s Director of Education.

The District’s Board of Trustees will begin a formal search process for a new Director of Education early in the New Year.

The Board expects the new Director of Education to be in place by no later than the summer of 2021. 

Sliwa’s last day on the job will be June 30.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading