Now that hunting season has begun, the OPP are hoping to reduce the chance of accidents by reminding hunters of safety concerns.
• When transporting your firearm and ammunition, ensure that both are secured properly. It is an offence to have a loaded firearm in your vehicle.
• Hunter orange is a must. The more visible you are—the safer you will be.
• Tell someone where you will be hunting and when you expect to be back.
• Dress for the weather and wear proper footwear; and
• Be prepared.
Hunt only where you are permitted and stay off private property unless you have written permission from the land owner.
• Alcohol or drugs and hunting do not mix.
• Show consideration for others using the forest.
All residents and visitors to our area are encouraged to conduct safe hunting practices. For more information about hunting regulations go to www.mnr.gov.on.ca or contact your local MNR office.