Listen Live
HomeNewsThe CDSBEO is Asking Students how to Make them More Resilient

The CDSBEO is Asking Students how to Make them More Resilient

Michelle Neville, Mental Health Leader with the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario, says they’re trying to make students more resilient.

According to Neville they do the Resiliency Study every year with students from grade 3 to 12. The study focuses on positive things like strength, unlike similar mental health questionnaires that focus on illnesses or deficiencies. Schools are given the results from their students and use the information to help students improve areas they feel they lack in.

Neville says students between grades 3 and 6 always rank high on the survey but after that there is a decline. Older students often say anxiety and fear are big factors in their lives according to Neville but students at the school board also say they don’t get enough sleep.

The board is currently developing what Neville refers to as a kid’s friendly poster about the importance of getting enough sleep that will be given out to all their schools. Neville says they also do an annual lesson for all students from JK to grade 12 focused on resiliency. Students between grades 7 and 12 receive a specialized report identifying four things they are strongest at and two they can improve in.

Neville finished by saying all schools now have a mental health kit, complete with lesson plans and activities for bringing mental health into the classroom.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading