Listen Live
HomeNewsUCDSB making changes to reading and literacy curriculum based on Ontario Human...

UCDSB making changes to reading and literacy curriculum based on Ontario Human Rights Commission report

Kids entering schools in the Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB) will learn to read in a new way from now on.

According to an announcement from the board, the “cueing” system for teaching students to read, which involves prompting students to use context clues to figure out unfamiliar words, won’t be used in its curriculum anymore.

The decision was made based on a “Right to Read” report from the Ontario Human Rights Commission, which argues that cueing is “not scientifically valid,” and encourages memorization and guessing instead of teaching kids how to identify new words. It’s being replaced across the board with a new, science-based system. 

“This is an approach that focuses on evidence-based reading instruction practices that teach the acquisition of language, and phonological and phonemic awareness,” explains Manager of Communications April Scott-Clarke.

- Advertisement -

“As a school district, our primary objective is to provide all students with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities to be successful in life,” adds Director of Education Ron Ferguson. “Knowing how to read is a big part of that and adapting our ways of teaching as new research comes to the forefront is critical. Our team has an unwavering commitment to meeting the needs of all students and that includes understanding and implementing scientific research pertaining to reading and how students learn to read.”

You can read more information about the change on the UCDSB website.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading