Listen Live
HomeNewsUPDATE: UCDSB trustees vote to keep Oxford On Rideau Public School open

UPDATE: UCDSB trustees vote to keep Oxford On Rideau Public School open

UPDATE September 29th 12:30 PM: School principal Brad O’Neil responded to our request for comment with the following statement:

“Oxford-on-Rideau PS like other schools in the UCDSB is committed to providing a world-class education to the students we serve. We are proud of the teaching and learning that we provide our students here and of the community partnerships and engagement that enriches the learning for our kids…. The commitment of our teachers and support staff to the learning and wellness of our students is second to none. This truly is a wonderful, supportive, caring and loving community.

Our school community is thankful for the result of the resolution of the UCDSB Board of trustees in their decision to remove Oxford on Rideau from the closure list. As the principal of school, I am elated by the fact that our staff can continue the strong tradition of learning excellence into the foreseeable future and that students are able to maintain connections and learning opportunities with their rural community. At Oxford-on-Rideau PS we inspire learning leaders and critically thoughtful learners every day. We are preparing students for a successful life!”

After five years of debate, the Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB) has decided to keep a North Grenville elementary school open.

- Advertisement -

At this week’s Board of Trustees meeting, Oxford On Rideau Public School in Kemptville was removed from the board’s closure list, meaning it will stay open.

The school was originally added to the board’s closure list in March 2017. Board Chair John McAllister says a key factor in changing that decision is North Grenville’s population growth in recent years.

“According to the [Statistics Canada] census of 2016, five years ago, North Grenville had the highest rate of population growth in the county, and was set to be the most populated municipality in the region within the next ten years,” McAllister explains. “Well, five years later, that prediction has been realized.”

Lisa Swan, the Trustee for the area that includes the school, echoed similar sentiments.

“The municipality is still expecting continued growth, and they’re even outpacing their own growth projections,” Swan says. “Over the past two censuses, as Chair McAllister stated, they’ve maintained a growth rate of 10 percent, which is the highest in Leeds and Grenville.”

MyKemptvilleNow.com has reached out to Oxford On Rideau Public School Principal Brad O’Neil for comment.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading