Listen Live
HomeNewsUCDSB announces kindergarten students need to wear masks at school November 1

UCDSB announces kindergarten students need to wear masks at school November 1

As the school year continues, the Upper Canada District School Board is taking more measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 among kids.

The UCDSB has announced all kindergarten students will need to wear masks on the first of November. At a trustee meeting this week, the board voted for the mask mandate unanimously.

Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, the Eastern Ontario Health Unit’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, spoke in favor of the policy at the meeting in a presentation. “At the beginning of the school year,” Dr Roumeliotis says, “I alluded at the end of my talk about the recommendations that we added to the provincial recommendations. One of them was a very strong recommendation from our health unit to all schools, to mask JK and K students.”

“I can tell you that last year, we were doing the studies,” Dr Roumeliotis continues, “and the Canadian Pediatric Society, American Academy of Pediatrics, the CDC, had been a bit hesitant for masking for children less than five years of age, and so last year we had recommendations for older kids. Right now, with a lot of the world data that’s out there, there have been absolutely no contraindications or negative drawbacks to children as young as between two and five wearing masks.”

According to the board, Dr. Paula Stuart, the Medical Officer of Health for the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit, also agrees with the new mask policy. The mandate takes effect on the first of November. Parents of Kindergarten students have been informed of the mandate ahead of time.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

You found me!