Listen Live
HomeNewsLeeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit studying vaccination rates in UCDSB...

Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit studying vaccination rates in UCDSB students

As schools throughout the Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB) stay open for in-person learning, our local health unit is gathering information about students vaccinated against COVID-19.

The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit announced yesterday in an email to parents that it’s collecting data on the COVID-19 vaccination rates of eligible students in UCDSB schools. Dr. Paula J. Stuart, the Health Unit’s CEO and Medical Officer of Health, says that fully vaccinated students, who have gone at least 14 days since receiving their final dose, won’t need to self-isolate if they’re potentially exposed to the virus at school.

“COVID-19 immunization for students is not mandatory,” the email reads. “However, understanding the student immunization status and coverage within classes and schools will better enable public health units to respond if there is an outbreak.” So far, COVID-19 cases have been found in students and staff at schools in Prescott, Brockville, Morrisburg, Chesterville, Gananoque, and other communities across Ontario.

According to the email, the Health Unit is collecting this data from provincial health records. Dr Stuart also says the Health Unit may contact parents if they have questions about a student’s vaccination status, or if any information is missing from the provincial records. Parents are being asked to call the Health Unit, or visit its website, if they have any questions or concerns surrounding the vaccine.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading